Moderator Control Panel ]

What new tutorials would you like to see?

Blender 3d A free open source 3d modeler and movie editor.
tutorials focused on movie making aspects of the program and animation.
http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/

What new tutorials would you like to see?

Postby Douglas E Knapp » Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 pm

What do you need tutorials for? What would you like to know?
Douglas E Knapp
Site Admin

Re: What new tutorials would you like to see?

Postby bawaba » Thu May 27, 2010 10:11 pm

A project based video tutorial that flashes out the details in creating a given effect, Since this forum is geared more towards film, maybe something on the side of a "film effect as seen in ...." and since you using blender, extend the tutorial to using the modeling and animation elements of the tool to the film output.

An Idea to start with I guess would be for a titling ( I believe is called lower thirds or something) using something animated in a blender scene as source for the object.

I am new to blender but I guess I have sat and watched loads of vids on other tools 3D Max, Motion, Modo and think for a tool to be fully appreciated, you need to mix it up a great deal and not just look at one side of it.
bawaba

Postby jayanimator » Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 am

there was a recent release on using the compositor to achieve affects in the format you are speaking of as far as tutorials go -

it costs 47 dollars in the blender store and I would go for the electronic format over the hard copy. Its brand new.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This would be achieved through the use of composite nodes - and learning them

the place to start would simply be to learn what all of the buttons are for in the render settings - including the movie formats you can use - images using alpha

understanding how to manipulate the alpha channel - simply from the image types you can render such as PNG which can be made with the RGBA button on the render setting - to capture previous renders of 3d objects

motion tracking is said to be made standard at the completion of 2.5 - but for now Voodoo motion tracking is one of the few ways to do this but the script is old and you have to adjust it for the later versions of blender - the python code has small syntax error

the next step is learning how to effectively use the nodes period to produce the effect you want by manipulating the alpha

there are different rules in how the nodes are piped as to what is above and below and how its rendered depending on the type of image or scene render it is ...

which can be completely frustrating - the Alpha Over node is one to look into.

the video sequencer only loads pure AVI - in raw format - but some of the sequencer effects are easier to use

once again it takes understanding the sequencer controls and hot keys and how to stack the films to make it work ... but some of the transitions and speed controls and animations over time are easier to achieve here over the nodes.

the time node is also a worthy point of interest when you understand how to edit the curves to it ..
jayanimator

Postby jayanimator » Fri May 28, 2010 1:23 am

oh and this guy - it helps to know some of the artists names from blender and this guy has done the best tutorials - I think he does or had done cg cookie - Papa Smurf on Vimeo http://vimeo.com/962573
jayanimator

Postby Douglas E Knapp » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Papa Smurf is also a great guy to talk to on Blender IRC if you can catch him. He has often helped me even with very advanced stuff.
Douglas E Knapp
Site Admin

Return to Blender 3d